With many people suffering from bad sleeping habits that prevent them from getting a good night’s sleep, it is important to try to break those habits so that the poor practices do not lead to more serious problems like sleep apnea or other health issues.
It has been shown that every half hour of sleep that occurs before midnight is equal to two hours of sleep after midnight making it more beneficial to go to bed early and rise early rather than going to bed late in the evening or early morning hours and sleeping until noon instead.
Break Your Bad Sleeping Habit’s and Get a Good Night’s Rest
Here are a few ways to help you to break those bad sleeping habits:
- Provide a comfortable bedtime environment that is conducive to sleep making it cool, dark and quiet.
- Try to go to sleep by 10 pm in the evening as the best quality of sleep occurs between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am.
- Establish a regular time to go to bed and wake up so you are on a schedule and your body will benefit from a consistent bedtime routine.
- You should avoid watching television or reading while in bed as both of these can distract you and cause you to stay awake.
- You should not have electrical appliances or mobile phones within a few feet of your bed especially a laptop or other device.
- Do not have any heavy meals in the evening, but rather you should eat a light meal and often food does not get digested well if you eat late at night causing you to have indigestion during the night.
- You should not exercise within three to four hours before bedtime as it gets the body all “worked up” so it is hard to relax.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks such as coffee, soft drinks or tea.
- Avoid viewing computer monitors a couple of hours prior to bed.