Do you experience the feeling of unrest when you wake up from sleep? Do you remain tired and lazy for the whole long day? Sometimes one suffers dizziness even after having slept for proper hours, so deep and better sleep is the main factor that helps you to wake up energized. Waking up is a tough task but when it becomes torture, here lies the problem in your sleep cycle or we can say weekly sleep routine.
The best way to know whether you are rested or not is how you feel when you wake up in the morning and feel the rest of the day. The most important factor in sleep is the hormone "melatonin".
MELATONIN AND SLEEP:
It is also called a sleep hormone. Melatonin is a hormone that gets activated in the presence of darkness. When there is less light at night this hormone gets triggered by the activation of the pineal gland in a human's brain. The pineal gland then transforms serotonin hormone into melatonin and helps you fall asleep. In sunlight or when light enters your eye, that light automatically stops the production of melatonin.
Melatonin is a crucial hormone to improve your immunity. When you have less sleep, there will be less melatonin production and your chance of getting ill increases. The risk of getting infections and also heart disease increase.
Melatonin is an anti-oxidant:
Melatonin is an essential anti-oxidant and prevents your body from any damage from free radicals and does not let the toxins enter the bloodstream. Thus it enhances your way of life.
Melatonin also works as an anti-inflammatory. So when you sleep less it will automatically reduce the level of melatonin production that will lead to more pain due to the severe rigidness and inflammation in the muscles.
Why melatonin supplements are not preferred?
Most of the time the health care providers do not recommend taking melatonin supplements because the external intake of a hormone will trigger the body for less production of melatonin because your body will compensate. So consuming melatonin supplements as a sleep catalyst is not recommended.
The other problem related to melatonin is as you get older your body starts producing less melatonin. So older people often suffer from this situation where they do not get deep sleep.
The appropriate time to go to sleep:
You must have heard this in your childhood
"Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."
This exactly what is being advocated here. So the ideal time to go to bed is between 10 PM – 11 PM. And one must be aware of the circadian rhythm that works in waves and you must not go against those waves. Try to catch a wave between 10 to 11 and wake up happy and energized in the morning.
Elevate melatonin production in your body:
There are a few rituals that you must embrace to enhance the level of melatonin
- Keep the lights off, what most people do is use phones or laptops so avoid using these gadgets before going to bed. Let the dark enter your brain to activate melatonin production.
- Use filtered water to avoid the consumption of fluorides. Fluorides basically disturb the functioning of the pineal gland. So do not drink tap water.
- Use a dosage of Glycine (amino acid) before going to bed because it enhances the production of serotonin.
- Avoid your exposure to blue light that comes from TV, laptops, smart phone, and similar devices because this light reduces melatonin. So wear special blue light blocking eyewear to filter out blue light.
- Get some vitamin D during the day. It will stop the production of melatonin during the day and let it recharge for the night to turn it on.
- Reduce stress as much as you can. You can apt different ways like going to walk, etc. Just get away from stress because it shuts down melatonin. Also, avoid the consumption of caffeine and alcohol in this respect.
- A cold environment triggers melatonin because when the temperature of your room is lower it stimulates melatonin.
- Avoid exposure to electromagnetic frequencies, these are the number of energies that surround us in space.
EMFs (electromagnetic fields) and your health:
You spend 1/3 of your life in your bed in a relationship with EMFs. Because these frequencies can be the big reason why you don't sleep rested. Sometimes you stop the voltage from the wire but not unplug the switch and there remains the magnetic field around the wire that doesn't let you sleep peacefully.
Avoid EMFs around you because it reduces melatonin and even though you are sleeping but you are not resting and wakeup irritable in the morning.
To reduce exposure to EMFs you just need to adopt these habits
- Unplug your switch from the socket
- Put your phone on airplane mode to render the unfriendly energy reach to your brain and heart
- Battery operating clocks should be preferred instead of electrical clocks.
- Do not use water beds
- Do not use heating pads
- Avoid using electric blankets as it covers your whole body with the field.
So there are a lot of ways through which you can wake up happy and refreshed and actually rest while sleeping. There are a lot of bad habits this generation has adopted that do not let them sleep peacefully and in the day they feel grouchy and exhausted and do not do anything productive.